Monday, November 2, 2009

The Greatest Commandment

Mark 12:28 - 34 is probably very familiar to many of us. It is at the very heart of what it means to be a follower of Jesus. The challenge for us today is to move beyond knowing this passage, and to ask ourselves what we are doing about it. Three important questions that we need to ask ourselves are:
  1. how much do I love the lord with all my heart, mind, soul and strenght;
  2. how much do I love my neighbour as myself; and
  3. what am I going to do about the gap between what is and what should be.

To come near to the kingdom of God is to humble ourselves before him, being willing to put behind us all that we have grown comfortable and confident in and to again throw ourselves onto the mercy and love of God. In doing so we learn that the way of true love is to lay down our lives for the sake of others.

What does this mean in terms of your attitudes toward God in worship, service and witness? What new or renewed practices of devotion and spiritual practices do you need to engage in? How can you show love to your enemies, as a way of loving your neighbour?

No comments:

Post a Comment